Thursday, November 12, 2009

Vaccinated!


I am now officially vaccinated. It shouldn't be a big deal, but after all of the hoops I had to jump through to get the H1N1 vaccine, I'm pretty excited and I want everyone to know about it!

Nursing school requires the regular, seasonal flu shot every year, but this year they've also required that we get the H1N1 vaccine... by Thanksgiving! I tried one time to go to the County Health Department to get the shot, but when my friend and I arrived we were informed that the line would take approximately 3-5 hours. As we are students, and time is not something easy to come by, this was most definitely NOT an option. (Besides that, it would have meant waiting in line in a parking structure, while it was snowing, and with a thousand kids running around crazy for having to wait in line forever)

Since then, I've been trying to get an appointment for a shot at either the Utah Valley County Health Department or the Salt Lake County Health Department but there are never any available. Randomly last week, I ran into another nursing student who had a phone number for a Smith's pharmacy in Sandy that was offering appointments for the shot for $10. I jumped on the bandwagon and went to get the shot with some other nursing students. Thank you Smith's!
I'm now vaccinated (even though I'm pretty sure I had the swine flu a couple of weeks ago) and can officially not be kicked out of clinicals at nursing school. Happy day.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I'm so glad that you posted this. I didn't know who else had the vaccine except for the Utah County Health Dept. and they only offer vaccinations during school hours, so of course I can't get it. So, I'm glad you posted about this! We are going this week to Draper. Hope you are having a good week!