Thursday, June 17, 2010

Adjusted.

I think I've finally adjusted to our new ward. It took a couple of weeks, especially with being gone for funerals and my Washington D.C. trip, but I'm loving our new ward and all the fun people in it. Chad got called to the bishopric of a single's ward on campus, so we now attend a single's ward. Here are the things that were tough to adjust to at first:
  • church is in the testing center so we sit in the rows of desks for sacrament meeting
  • sitting alone
  • changing the standard "topics of conversation" (we can no longer ask people about "when they got married", "how they met", "how long they've been married".... it's back to the standard questions of, "where are you from?", "what are you studying?", "what kinds of things do you like to do?", etc.)
  • meeting a group of brand new people (we had been in our married ward for 2 years!)
  • talking to people on my own (in the married ward, everything is in couples).
  • missing our married friends

Now that it's been a couple of weeks, I'm starting to love our ward with all of its new, fun surprises:
  • new calling as the "2nd Sunday Supper" Committee Chair (basically, I'm in charge of the food, it was a calling made for me)
  • the girls in our Relief Society are so nice/genuine/fun
  • everyone is so welcoming and inviting
  • we get to have FHE at our house every couple of weeks (it's kind of fun to have an FHE with so many people, feels much more family-like)
  • the bishop is such a grandfatherly-like figure... warm and inviting.
    The next year should be a fun one!

1 comment:

Bart and Melodie said...

Chad - Bishopric, huh?!? You'll have an incredible experience, although don't worry when you're sitting there thinking, "How in the world am I ever going to get everything done?!" That thought is absolutely normal, and your opportunity to see some amazing miracles in your life. You'll see, as you've seen before, that what you have to do is only possible with the Lord's help. You can't do it yourself! Boy, are we glad to be related to you!