This is my final, capstone semester in the nursing program and I could not be more excited/scared to death. The light at the end of the tunnel is finally in sight. It's almost time for me to be a real nurse! When I think about how in just a few short months I will be on my own, the thought seems kind of incomprehensible.
Even though this semester is different than any other and I have more ability to schedule my own clinicals, I had my first real breakdown at the beginning of this week. That's what happens in nursing school... it makes you stronger and I know it will all be worth it. A typical week this semester consists of: class on Thursdays from 8-5, working part time in the records office (15-18 hours a week, depending on the week), one or two 12 hour shifts a week, and then a couple hours a week working in community health nursing. It's definitely been busy.
The hardest part is the exhausted/drained feeling that seems to overwhelm me by the end of the day; it makes it hard to fit in all of the things in my life that ground me and keep me sane. Luckily, I've still been able to exercise 5-6 days a week, but all of the extra things have started to get pushed aside. Blogging, projects, and COOKING... all of the non-essential, fun things.
On Tuesday night, I decided to put everything aside, and make myself something for dinner; something other than a sandwhich, omelette, bowl of cereal, or a can of soup. It was delightful. I found this recipe for Spicy Bean Burritos on Annie's Eats and with the thought of a new package of Tortilla Land raw tortillas, no chicken in the freezer, and that New Years' Resolution to eat more beans in mind, I knew I had to make it. I loved it and Chad said he would definitely eat it again. Score! This recipe comes highly recommended.

Spicy Bean Burritos
Yield: about 6 servings
Ingredients:
For the bean filling:
2 tsp. canola or vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. minced cilantro
1 tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. kosher salt
Dash cayenne pepper
1/3 cup water, vegetable broth or chicken broth
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
6 tbsp. fresh salsa
For serving:
6 (9- or 10-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
Shredded cheese
Diced tomatoes
Shredded romaine lettuce
Low-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
Directions:
To make the bean filling, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, cumin, salt and cayenne; stir, cooking just until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add the beans and the water or broth to the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat, stir in the salsa and mash the mixture with a spoon or fork.
Spoon about a third of a cup of the bean mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top each serving with a pinch of shredded cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, green onions and sour cream. Roll the tortilla up tightly, burrito style, and serve immediately.
No comments:
Post a Comment