Monday, September 20, 2010

"GHFBJB"

My clinical on Thursday was a rotation in the ER and I absolutely LOVED IT. I think I might have even said at one point, "I think I might have found my calling". Okay, maybe not my calling, but it was definitely somewhere I could see myself actually working as a nurse; along with Labor/Delivery and NICU. I have a few favorites at the moment. But seriously, it was an awesome day. I got to see so many different kinds of patients with all sorts of different problems, started IVs, gave medications, and helped in the detective work that is involved in diagnosing someone who walks through those ER doors.

Favorite Diagnosis of the Day: "GHFBJB" (written on my nurse's notes)

me: [peering at nurse's notes] "Wow... what are they here for?"
nurse: "Oh it's bad... haven't you heard of [points to acronym]?"
me: [trys to reach back into memory for some obscure disease/illness that may have a 6-letter acronym. Feel stupid that nothing comes to mind.] "No... I don't think I've heard of it before."
nurse: "Got Hit in Face by Junky Buddy. He's totally plastered. His jaw is broken in 3 places!"
me: "There's an acronym for that?"
nurse: "Oh yeah, it happens more than you might think."

who knew?

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Really?? That's crazy. Glad you liked your ER rotation!

Danny and Kaitlin said...

ha ha thats funny! and thats the exact thing they would bring danny in for! :)