I took care of a woman today who changed my life. She didn't say anything to me, ventilators are sticky little contraptions. But she changed something inside of me. I was tired and feeling stressed that I had to get up at 5:00 a.m. to get to the U of U hospital on time for a 12 hour clinical day. I was nervous and feeling overwhelmed at the prospect of being in the ICU for the first time.
My sweet little patient couldn't say a word, couldn't barely move. Lines, wires, machines, tubes... you name it, she had it. She's been in the ICU for almost a week, experiencing pain like I could never imagine. I asked her if she was cold and she nodded her head once. I walked out and grabbed a blanket from the blanket warmer and laid it over her. I asked her if there was anything else, and she shook her head and smiled. It was a subtle smile hiding behind the large ventilator tube, but it was a smile.
How could a woman who has to go through so much physical trials be so incredibly positive? Here I am feeling sorry for myself because I get to be going to school, learning, and pushing myself to the limit to learn how to take care of people. It's nice every once in a while to get that little reality check and realize how blessed I am and what's most important.
The motto for the BYU College of Nursing is, "Learning the Healer's Art". Every semester that goes by, I'm starting to get a small picture of what that really means. Being a nurse means helping somebody every day. You get paid to take care of His children every single day.
This is why I can't wait to be a nurse.
No comments:
Post a Comment