Tuesday, May 3, 2011

This is what Easter really means

Our Easter weekend was one full of the highest highs and the lowest lows. The full spectrum of emotion. Our family was in town, I had just graduated from BYU, we had a big party at our house to celebrate and Chad and I were packing our bags to drive back down to California with my family.

On Saturday afternoon, my mom got a phone call that some of our friends from home had gotten in a car accident. Ian Blackwelder was beginning the long drive from Provo back to Laguna Niguel with his older sister Briana when they lost control of their car and rolled 5 or 6 times. Ian was rushed to Payson Hospital, however his sister Briana didn't make it. It was very sudden. She was so young, only 28 years old. Ian miraculously only sustained minimal injuries: a broken clavicle and a couple of broken ribs. Its hard to understand sometimes why these things happen. Initially, I couldn't stop shaking. How could someone we know and love so suddenly no longer be with us?

It was lucky my parents were in town and were able to spend all of Saturday afternoon and evening down in Payson with Ian and Candice. It was amazing to see all of the people, extended family members and close friends who were there at a moment's notice and wanted to do anything to help in any way they could. This was Ian and his 2 buddies who spent the night curled up in makeshift beds made of hospital chairs. Talk about good friends.
Sunday was Easter and the reality of Christ and his atonement was fresh in all of our minds. It was amazing how much peace was felt by everyone. Both Ian and Bri were good people, doing good things and living righteous lives. Bri is now with our Heavenly Father and someday she will be reunited with her family. In talking about what had happened, Chad made the comment, "How do people handle grief without Christ and the Plan of Salvation?" I have no idea how people can make sense of this life without an understanding of Christ's atonement. I know that through Christ we will live again with our families for eternity. I just spent the weekend thanking Heavenly Father for all of my blessings and the opportunity to spend so much time with my family.

So to California we went... it was such a wonderful escape. Laguna Niguel was in the 70s, sunny, and beautiful. Every time we go down there I am brutally reminded why its the most beautiful place to live. So here are a couple of pics from our mini vacation:
McKenna's lacrosse game
My mom's favorite shirt.
Morning run in the park.

On Wednesday night when we got back to Utah, I got to attend Bri's memorial service in Salt Lake. It was beautiful and elegant, just like Bri. It was truly a celebration of Bri's life as a daughter, sister, midwife, and friend. I drove home from the memorial with a renewed desire to live life to the fullest and to touch people like Bri was able to do during her lifetime. She was an amazing person and will be missed until we're able to see her again.

No comments: