
The first real snow of the season hit us suddenly. It was sometime between 11:00 p.m. Saturday night and 7:30 a.m. Sunday morning; I'll probably never know exactly when it happened, it just did. Sunday morning we were greeted with approximately 2 1/2 inches of snow covering every surface it could reach. I just wasn't ready for it.
I'll be honest with you, I looked out our side door to go to church on Sunday morning (it was still snowing) and the thought of walking to church in my heels through the 2 1/2 inches of snow on the unplowed sidewalk made me want to cry. So for the first time since we've lived in this house, I drove the half a block to church. And you want to know what? I didn't even feel bad about it.

Monday morning, campus looked like this:


These are my thoughts. Snow makes everything difficult. Right after it snows (or during), riding your bike to school is near to impossible. Canyon Road is a lower priority plowing street, so it's always covered with ice and is pretty much an icy death trap. I pretty much have a nervous breakdown moment every time I get in car to go somewhere. Then, when you finally get where you're going (in twice as much time as it normally takes you), you then have to walk in it. Now the sidewalk turns into an icy death trap waiting to claim its next victim. If you finally make it to your intended destination without sustaining blunt force trauma injuries from the ground, it's almost a guarantee that you can't feel your hands, toes, nose, and/or cheeks. Now doesn't that sound like fun?
I almost forgot... after all of this and the day is ending and you finally get back to your car (its been sitting in the parking lot for 8 hours), you get to scrape off all of this freezing white stuff off of the entire thing so that you can see while driving home. Sometimes your car may look like this:

... and if you're lucky, it's already dark when you get back to your car, so all of the snow has pretty much frozen in place.

These are the thoughts that went through my head. However, I do have to say that the snow makes everything look beautiful. Everything gets completely covered in white and the mountains are gorgeous. I'm especially a sucker for the way the snow perches upon tree branches; every little twig has some outline of white tracing its every twist and turn.
It's also kind of fun to be in the snow at Christmastime. Nothing beats coming home at night, turning on the fireplace, grabbing a blanket/a mug of hot chocolate/hubby, and curling up on the couch. I guess I just need to accept that it's winter now.
3 comments:
I SO AGREE! Pretty to look at, but horrible to drive in, walk in, and I hate scrapping off my car every morning. How I look forward to having a garage one day! Is Chad pumped to go skiing?
My thoughts exactly!! It's awful. Driving in it is the worst.
aw Im soo sorry! thats why i only stayed in idaho for a semester... lol! its very nice to live somewhere without snow- something for you guys to look forward to!
Post a Comment