Wednesday, August 4, 2010

All I wanted was a little white wine...

To the Lady at the Liquor Store,

All I wanted was one bottle of low to mediocre quality, inexpensive white wine so that I can cook a couple of recipes that have been accumulating in my "to cook" file. Is that so wrong? I'm not even going to drink it. Was it really necessary to make me feel so stupid when I tried to purchase said bottle of wine? For heaven's sake, I didn't even try to purchase it, I was making Chad do it. That's why I didn't even bring my purse with me when we decided to come to the State Liquor Store off of Freedom Blvd. Chad did, after all, have his ID with him and provided it in a timely, efficient manner. How were we supposed to know that I also had to have my ID just to stand next to him in the liquor store while he purchased the wine?

Nowhere does it say that ID needs to be produced for any and every person who is in the store, even if they are not purchasing anything. There is that sign in the window that says that children or spouses of people who are of the appropriate age are permitted on the premises; that sign is a lie. It was not very nice that you were so unnecessarily condescending when we didn't know the unwritten policy of the liquor store. What I really don't understand is that after all of the fuss of charging Chad's card, not actually selling us the wine, and then immediately refunding the charge to Chad's card why Chad wasn't allowed to come back into the store and purchase the wine by himself. Maybe you were just having a bad day. I know it happens to all of us, but why did you have to be so mean during my first liquor-purchasing experience?


I almost made Chad drive me home to get my stupid driver's license and then drive right back just to prove to you that I was telling the truth. Then I decided that was stupid and that even though I was embarrassed, it wasn't worth my time. In the future, I think it would be helpful to advertise this unwritten rule so that other people don't fall into this same situation. It would be much appreciated.

-Alyse

2 comments:

Jacie Saltzman said...

hahaha. awesome. apparently she thought chad was trying to buy alkey for a minor. i totally would have driven back with my id just to prove it. she needed the slap. she shouldnt have been rude about it, but i can also see why she didnt sell it to you. as annoying as that is. she was protecting herself.

Shelby said...

haha! this story is so funny.. It's provo UT for heaven's sake... just another example of how people take their jobs WAY too seriously. I hope you (eventually) get your wine and try out those yummy recipes! I love seeing how ambitious you are in the kitchen... it inspires me. Love it!

--Shelby