Thursday, July 17, 2008

Playing house in Provo

We've almost been married for 2 months now, and pretty much up to this point I feel like we are just playing house. We both decided that it would be a good idea to take a break for summer semester to get situated, save up some money, and establish routines for when we do start school again. In the meantime, we both work 40 hours a week and then play in our extra time!

Chad is working as a salesman at Mr. Mac in University Mall which means he works 5 days a week (he ALWAYS works on Saturdays) , either the 9:30 am- 6 pm shift or the 12:00pm- 9:00 pm shift . He's been working at Mr. Mac since he moved down to Provo in January and is really starting to get good at selling suits. In a weekly review meeting last saturday, a manager told him that he was a "darn good salesman" except he didn't use the word "darn"! Probably the weirdest part about him working there is that we'll be doing something... grocery shopping, mountain biking, at the mall, walking through Target... and he will see someone that he has helped before and then I get the full run down of their shopping experience complete with funny stories, embarassing moments, and a full running commentary.


I have been working full time as a receptionist for a fencing company in Orem, UT called Simtek Fence. I have more regular hours working 8 am-5 pm Monday through Friday and I love the people I work with. My normal responsibilities include: answering phones, helping with payroll, packaging marketing information, and other general office administrative duties. The company I work for is fairly new and is marketing a new type of fence made of a polyethylene plastic material. Basically, the fence looks like rock but is made of plastic. It's an exciting new development because it is much stronger than any vinyl fence, but also much cheaper (about 1/3 the price ) than a concrete stone fence. I know officially know more about fencing than I ever thought I would.




We've also taken this opportunity to have some extra free time to have an active summer. One of our first large purchases as a married couple was a 24 Hour Fitness Gym Membership which has been great! Chad goes mountain biking a couple of times a week and then goes to the gym to lift weights. I enjoy going to 24 to use the big room of cardio equipment and can zone out for large periods at a time with my head phones plugged in, watching TV on the big TVs mounted to the wall. Since we don't have cable, it's the only time I watch TV... but it's great! I've also started taking the yoga class that is offered there a couple of times a week and I love it!


Last Friday night, instead of going to the gym, we headed up to Hobble Creek Canyon with a friend of Chad's from work to hang out in the mountains. Unfortunately, the person in charge of hamburgers forgot the patties, so we were a bit hungry, but being out in the middle of nowhere was awesome! Probably the best part of the evening was the chance we had to go shooting with our friends.


In the meantime, I've also had the opportunity to be able to cook dinner at least 4 or 5 times a week. Last Sunday, Chad and I made the most delicious chicken. It was chicken breast stuffed with blue cheese and arugula, wrapped in bacon, and then baked in the oven. Absolutely delicious!






Alright, that's it for our Provo update.


No comments: