VA Administration Building
One of the highlights of our trip was our visit to Walter Reed Army Medical Center (WRAMC).
This is the hospital where active duty military personnel are brought when they are injured during the current conflict. It was an amazing experience to not only tour the facilities, but also talk one-on-one with staff and patients.
The most suprising realization was that the soldiers who are returning home injured from Iraq or Afghanistan are my age! So many of the soldiers are so young, in their 20s and have suffered a serious injury that will change their life forever. I learned that in the current conflict OEF (Operation Enduring Freedom)/OIF (Operation Iraqi Freedom), some of the most serious injuries are amputations due to an IED (Improvised Explosive Device) and post traumatic stress disorders.
I think so many of us in the United States too easily forget what is happening RIGHT NOW... our country is in a major war! Young men and women sustain serious injuries and are killed every day in order to help give freedom to those who have had it taken away. If I took away anything from this trip, I hope to always remember those who have fought for liberty and freedom for our country and other countries. Always Remember.
In the museum located on the WRAMC campus, they had an exhibit of medical care during OEF/OIF. This picture below is a picture of a trauma bay from one of the central medical tents. They literally cut the slab of concrete out of the ground in Afghanistan and shipped it to the U.S.
This is the beautiful older part of WRAMC. It's over 100 years old!The newer portion of the hospital reminds me a little bit of something out of Star Wars.
A little blue house.
Marine Monument of Iwo Jima
On a previous trip, our instructors met this cute little man who is a veteran himself. He joined the military when he was 17 (lied to get in), witnessed the bombing at Pearl Harbor, and was present during the Battle on Iwo Jima. He's 87. Amazing.
Arlington National Cemetery, sacred ground.
This is my very good friend Courtney Hugo. I met Courtney during the first summer that we were in our married student ward and we've been friends ever since. She's always that person who looks out for me and gives advice about the next semester of nursing school. I'd be lost without her... plus she gives pretty good foot rubs. I'll have to have her give Chad a quick tutorial.
The Capitol Building
Utah Representative Jason Chaffetz met with us inside the capitol.
Apparently every state contributes at least 2 statues that are randomly distributed throughout the capitol building. Is it any suprise that one of Utah's statues is Brigham Young?
The Center of Washington D.C.
On our last night, our instructors took us all out to the Chart House for dinner. It was probably the nicest place I've ever been to eat, and it was delicious. I even splurged and had molten chocolate lava cake for dessert. It changed my life.
On our last day, a couple of girls and I stayed around Alexandria to walk around historic King Street. It's a beautiful place with cute little shops going all the way down to the Potomac.
It was a long, absolutely wonderful trip to D.C., but I was so happy to come home to my wonderful husband. 8 days is a long time to be away. Take home message of my trip: Always remember our veterans and the sacrifices they made for us. How can we repay them? ...direct quote from the Iwo Jima veteran:
"Live your life. That's why we did what we did."
4 comments:
Oh what a trip! Thanks for sharing, I want to go so badly, and you just made me more DC Hungry! Welcome home!
Fun pictures. It makes me want to go!! And, thanks again for the cookies! They were amazing :)
Alyse you got such amazing pictures!!! It was totally worth lugging that huge camera around. Can you email me these?
What an awesome opportunity for you!!! Looks like you had fun playing with your camera too :)
Post a Comment