Thursday, October 27, 2011

Exercise Scores Points

So throughout this pregnancy, I've tried really hard to maintain a regular schedule of physical activity. Okay, so it's nowhere near what I was used to before in terms of the types of activity or the duration, but it's helped me kind of maintain a sense of "normal". Even if it's just 30-45 minutes on the elliptical or walking for an hour, I make the time to go and do it! I thought I was doing this mostly for me and my well-being, but this past week I was reading through my daily "What to Expect When You're Expecting" email update [they're fantastic... highly recommended], and look what I stumbled upon:

Exercise Scores Points

You're not the only one who benefits from pregnancy exercise — your baby does, too!

Exercise and Pregnancy Don't just take it from me — scientific research shows that you're not the only one who benefits from pregnancy exercise. Apparently, babies of moms who exercise throughout pregnancy score higher, on average, on general intelligence tests by age five. So, at 23 weeks pregnant, not only will your workout boost your muscle power but baby's brain power too!

Woo hoo! Hopefully this means our kid is going to be all sorts of smart!

3 comments:

Jacie Saltzman said...

im wondering if these children score higher on intelligence tests because their parents are more educated (therefore knowing the importance of exercise), and they teach their children more in years 1-5. or if the exercise actually causes some sort of physiological change for the baby, like better blood flow and therefore better brain development? who knows. anyways, keep up the good work! your exercising habits have always been impressive.

Jason and Kelly said...

keep it up! I stayed a gym regular all the way till week 39 (got busy that last week trying to get all the other last minute details of having baby taken care of) and I am so so glad I did! You will seriously feel so much better your whole pregnancy if you make time to exercise. It gets so tempting to give it up the last few months but don't do it! I always always felt much better after getting some exercise and not to mention it helps the weight gain stay in check. I ate like a pig my whole pregnancy and did fine in that department. Plus I was told it helps the actual labor and delivery go more smoothly, and mine seemed so easy. who knows if it was due to exercising or just having a small baby with a little head, but i like to say exercise.. Also, I bet you will have a smart child whether you exercise or not due to the fact he is your child. ha ok I could ramble on forever. Being a mom to a little boy is just so so so much fun and satisfying and I'm really excited for you. thats all

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

My recovery after I had Chase was seriously so easy (after about day 2 I felt pretty good) and I think it was because I exercised my whole pregnancy! And I think baby Bennett will be smart because he's YOUR KID! Seriously- he'll be smart, nice, kind and funny. He's got some powerhouse genetics.