Yesterday I had one, one-hour class and no other time commitments. No work, no preassessment for clinical, no clinical. Plus, Chad was in St. George for the Huntsman Senior Games (working with a professor, scanning carotid arteries, he enjoyed it.), so I didn't even have Chad to distract me. I did have homework and studying- that is, after all, the ever-constant part of the life of any student- but I had an entire day ahead of me. It was a liberating feeling.
This semester has been such a huge change for Chad and I and it has been such a good thing for us. Chad quit at Mr. Mac and is now a research assistant for 8-10 hours a week. We both are normal students. We work part time, we have Saturdays off, we go to football games, meet up on campus in the middle of the day to say hi or grab lunch, we do normal student-type things like real students do. After 2+ years of Chad working nights and weekends, I love the change. We study hard, we play hard, and we get to spend time together.
It's actually been quite strange and unexpected. Prior to this semester, I was dreading starting school again. You know, when nursing school takes over my life and social calendar. But I've discovered an unexpected surprise: I'm able to handle it. I'm used to nursing classes/clinical, I have awesome teachers, and my boss is amazing and worked with me to make a work schedule that she could live with and worked with my schedule. Plus, I'm not so stressed about getting A's anymore, there are more important things going on, and at this point it doesn't matter with graduation just around the corner. I love my classes, I love being [almost]a nurse, I love my husband, and I love that we have had such a good semester thus far.
Turns out, we like being normal students.
So yesterday I did something that I haven't done in a very long time. I went on a run... in the middle of the day. That's right, smack in the middle of the day at 12:30. ou know, when the sun was out and it wasn't freezing. 6 miles never felt so good.
I love the student life.
No comments:
Post a Comment