Tuesday, November 29, 2011

28 Weeks: Gestational Diabetes

This week marks 28 weeks of pregnancy, which also happens to be the week that I went to the doctor's office and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Kind of a bummer, although not too much of a surprise after 2 failed glucose tests and a mother who had gestational diabetes during a pregnancy (uh hello, Kenna was born a whopping 10 lbs 6 oz!). Apparently my healthy eating habits and active lifestyle were not enough to get me out of it!

I'll admit, I kind of freaked out for a second and cried on the way home- apparently these hormones of mine are all out of whack and making me completely irrational. Gestational diabetes is definitely something to take seriously, but is a completely manageable condition. Many of the complications associated with gestational diabetes can be avoided by diligent control of blood sugars. This Thursday I will go to Utah Valley's Diabetes Clinic and meet with a dietician & a nurse for approximately 2 hours to make a game plan on how we're going to manage the remainder of my pregnancy. This will probably mean strict management of blood sugars, cutting out any extra sugars, and continuing to maintain an active lifestyle.

Other updates at 28 weeks:
  • Currently measuring at 31 weeks... apparently he's getting plenty of glucose in there.
  • Still exercising 6 days a week and loving the way that it makes me feel semi-normal in this totally abnormal body.
  • Gestational diabetes- updates on that after my diabetes consult on Thursday.
  • I officially have 2 pairs of maternity pants- a pair of jeans and a recently purchased pair of charcoal cords. I love them. The jeans actually make me feel kind of cute when I wear them. How's that for awesome!?
  • Have started wearing compression socks to work and yes, they sometimes make me feel like an old lady. However, being on my feet for 12 hours tends to make my feet feel a little bit swollen.
  • I think we've finally decided to bite the bullet and get a Chicco carseat and a BOB stroller. It's not for sure yet, but I'm leaning more and more towards it the more that I research and shop for strollers.
  • Chad is in love with this little man of ours. He's even decided that it's about time we buy a new car and used the argument, "It's for the baby". He knows I'm a sucker for anything baby-related.
  • I have now bought 5 packages of diapers in assorted brands through my couponing endeavors. It just makes everything feel so real to walk into our extra room and see actual packages of diapers in a neat little stack!
  • We are both obsessed with this little boy of ours, it's kind of crazy how even though he won't be here til February, he consumes so much of our time and thoughts. All of our future plans and decisions have him completely at the center.

In other news, we had an awesome Sunday night, just spent the entire evening together. We made some yummy dinner of grilled chicken, homemade bread, and a big salad with Galeo's miso dressing (my absolute favorite!). Chad even busted out his Bobby Flay "Grill It" cookbook and made the most delicious chicken on the BBQ. Dinner was followed by a cuddle sesh on the couch to watch Happy Feet with a roaring fire and then a Christmas extravaganza. We pulled out our Christmas decorations, whipped up some hot chocolate, and listened to Christmas music while we put them up. I love the holiday season.

No comments: