Monday, July 6, 2009

July 3rd: A perfect day.

July 3rd, 2009. The day was destined for greatness from the beginning. Chad was miraculously scheduled for Friday as his day off and I didn't have work either. The morning began with blue skies and a wide open day of ZERO committments. Awesome. We of course decided that a mountain bike ride was absolutely necessary and therefore got up at 7:00 to head out. We walked outside and were greeted by a flock of hot air balloons floating lazily accross the sky. Being a resident of Utah County for less than two years, the sight of the beautiful, majestic balloons still has a magical quality to them. I just love 'em.

This balloon was my favorite... Smokey the Bear!
For our mountain biking adventure, we loaded up the bikes and drove up to Draper to ride in Corner Canyon. This wilderness area is located directly behind the Draper temple and is absolutely beautiful. I love the winding dirt trails up the side of the mountain, through trees, around corners, and then a gap in the greenery reveals this:
My hubby. We wore matching bike jerseys. Cute, I know.
Taking a quick breather about halfway up the 1/2 hour climb.
Another picture of the temple.
My man and I... we're pretty much hardcore mountain bikers.
After our epic 2 hour ride, we came home and started getting ready for the day. At 12:30, Kaitlin, Kimber, and Kenzie came over for some lunch and to hang out for a few hours. (Katlin and Danny had driven up the night before so that they could spend the 4th of July with us!) Breakfast for lunch was on the menu and we busted out some Swedish pancakes for the occasion.
Kenzie was excited about it.
After lunch, Kenzie ran out of energy, so Kimber had to take her home for a nap. Kaitlin, Danny, Chad, and I then brought out Settlers of Catan for a rousing game. It's been so long since I've played, and I was so excited to be playing again, that I wasn't overly competitve (Chad claims that I am the majority of the time), and only squeezed by with a narrow victory. I love that game.Chad has been wanting to go and see Transformers 2 since it came out, so we hit up a 5:00 p.m. matinee. Who knew it was so much cheaper to see a matinee? We only paid $11.00 for the two of us to see a movie! Not bad at all. Anyways, we both loved the movie and determined that despite how good it was, the first one is still better. This one was just a little bit more on the adult side: a little more swearing, lots of Megan Fox running around in a tanktop with her boobs bouncing around, and more fighting. Well, you can't win 'em all.
After the movie, we decided to go all sorts of crazy and eat Five Guys for dinner. It was pretty much like a vacation, so why not eat out? Chad was excited for his burger and Tuscan-flavored fries. Don't worry, Chad didn't betray his beloved In-N-Out. He said that In-N-Out is still better.
It was the perfect end of a perfect day in July.

1 comment:

Jacie Saltzman said...

one of the proudest moments of my life- shane confessing that in n out is better five guys. everyone will come around and realize the truth.