Sunday, April 26, 2009

One Sweet Thing

School is finally done and the first thing I wanted to do with my new-found freedom was bake. Apparently this desire to bake has been building up ALL semester and my inner baker was released when I finished that last final for nursing 295 on Tuesday morning.

I started my week of baking by trying a recipe for Lemon Blueberry muffins to take to my visiting teachee. This recipe was from the blog "For the Love of Cooking" (it's a favorite...check out the link) and I absolutely loved it. I was silly and forgot to take picture of the muffins but they were delicious. It was something about the tart taste of lemon that was perfect in these muffins. I also really loved that the recipe made only 12 muffins. When it's just Chad and I, I don't want to be making tons and tons of baked goods.

My second baking project was a new oatmeal cookie recipe I found on one of my favorite blogs and bringing it with me to work one morning.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters. Yum!

The next day, I decided to try a recipe for homemade brownies from scratch (found on the same blog as the cookies: Two Peas and Their Pod, it's a favorite) which was also delicious. They were quite rich & bursting with chocolately goodness.

Chad appreciated the baking frenzy:
As if all of this baking wasn't enough, Shirley Nelson called me halfway through the week and asked if I could become "One Sweet Thing" (my mom and her friend own a dessert catering company called "Two Sweet Things") for the weekend and bake some goodies for Bryce and Nicole Goettel's graduation party. Of course I jumped on the opportunity and spent all of Saturday morning baking in the kitchen.

This was the finished dessert spread:


My mom's classic chocolate chip cookies,
lemon cake,
chocolate bundt cake,
and mini vanilla cupcakes with cream cheese frosting & strawberries!
Needless to say, it was an awesome week.

5 comments:

Bryce & Nicole said...

I can agree it was an awesome week! Thanks for making the yummy treats! They were amazing as always. Thanks for being a great friend. Love you and Chad! Now we need to find sometime for the 4 of us to go out!

Pam said...

Everthing looks so good. I would have a hard time not eating it all. I am glad you liked the muffins - they were a big hit here. Thanks for the shout out.

Goodwin Family said...

I'm so glad to have a sis-in-law that's a great cook! Those baked goodies look delicious!

Jenna Wilson said...

That made me really hungry! Next time you get into a baking frenzy, you can always bring it by my house.
-Jenna

Anonymous said...

Your mom owns a baking company? How cool is THAT? Your treats look delicious!!! :)